February 10, 2012
No time for scheduled trainings? With budgets and time as tight as ever, you may prefer the free, self-paced legal research and software learning modules perpetually available in the West eLearning Center. If you haven’t completed a self-paced, online training like this before, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Self-paced lessons are found under the “Browse Subjects” heading. Check out this list to go straight to the topic of choice.
- Recordings of past webinars can be especially useful, as you may hear the instructor’s answers to common questions. Find them in two ways:
- Click either of the options under “Upcoming Webinars.” Here you can pre-filter to lessons created for solo and small law firms. On the list of webinars you’ll see any available recordings of past sessions listed.
- Click on a subject under “Browse Subjects.” You’ll see self-paced lessons, upcoming live webinars, and any recordings available.
- It can be useful to have the product open and minimized during the training. After each section, pause the online lesson, toggle to the live product, and practice what you’ve just learned.
- Don’t be shy about clicking Pause or repeating a section. The benefit of a self-paced course is that you can fit it into your schedule as needed.
- Utilize “My History” to quickly access the modules that you expect to return to for reminders.
For more resources, user guides, live and personalized trainings, bookmark the Small Law Firm Resource Center to find the research and technical support you need.