August 6, 2015
Start-up companies face unique challenges. With the founders often focused on capital raising, product development and marketing, the legal requirements that come with running a business and becoming an employer are not always prioritized. However, a failure to address these issues could result in significant liability for the company and its founders.
The Practical Law Start-up Company Toolkit is a cross-disciplinary collection of resources designed to help start-up business owners and their counsel navigate the legal complexities they face. The Toolkit includes annotated forms, practice notes, checklists and more for a wide array of start-up needs, including:
- Entity formation.
- Governance and corporate housekeeping.
- Capital raising and financing.
- Stockholder relations.
- Workplace and labor issues with employees, contractors and service providers.
- Employee benefits and compensation.
- Acquiring and protecting intellectual property.
- Product development, production, advertising, marketing and sales.
- Data privacy, internet and social media issues.
- Real estate and leasing issues.
- Insurance issues.
Set out below is a small sampling of the Toolkit’s resources. For the full list, visit the Start-up Company Toolkit.
- Choosing an Entity Comparison Chart
- Practice Note, LLC Agreement Commentary
- Standard Document, By-laws: Delaware Corporation
Governance and Corporate Housekeeping
- Corporation Law State Q&As
- Practice Note, Board Advisers and Corporate Advisory Boards
- Standard Clauses, Board Resolutions: Granting Execution Authority to Officers
Capital Raising and Financing
- Practice Note, General Solicitation and Start-up Capital Raising: Existing Guidance and New Questions
- Practice Note, Road Map for Undertaking a Private Offering
- Standard Document, Convertible Note (Early-stage Company Financing)
- Practice Note, Stockholder Protections
- Standard Document, Stockholders Agreement (Multi-party)
- Practice Note, Resales under Rule 144
Workplace and Labor Issues with Employees, Contractors and Service Providers
- Practice Note, Employment Law Issues for Start-ups, Entrepreneurs and Growing Businesses: Overview
- Using Independent Contractors and Outside Firms: Avoiding Employee Misclassification Checklist
- Standard Document, Executive Employment Agreement
Employee Benefits and Compensation
- Practice Note, Choosing the Right Type of Equity Compensation for Start-up Company Employees
- Practice Note, Employee Benefits Law: Overview
- Standard Document, Equity Incentive Plan (Private Company)
Acquiring and Protecting Intellectual Property
- Practice Note, Acquiring Trademark Rights and Registrations
- Standard Document, Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement (Short-form)
- Standard Document, IT Resources and Communications Systems Policy
Product Development, Production, Advertising, Marketing and Sales
- Standard Document, General Terms and Conditions for the Sale of Goods and Services (Pro-seller)
- Launching a New Product Checklist
- Online Advertising and Marketing Campaign Checklist
Data Privacy, Internet and Social Media Issues
- Practice Note, US Privacy and Data Security Law: Overview
- Standard Document, Company Social Media Use Guidelines
- Common Gaps in Information Security Compliance Checklist
Real Estate and Leasing Issues
- Practice Note, Office Lease: Key Provisions
- Standard Document, Commercial Lease Summary Chart (Short Form)
- Office Leasing: Tenant’s Pre-signing Checklist