November 26, 2012
- Inline notes are associated with selected text in the document and can be found directly next to the selected text.
- Document notes are general notes related to the entire document and can be found near the title of the document.
Adding an Inline Note or Highlighting
If you would like to add a note to a particular location in the document or highlight text, select the text where you want to insert the note or highlight, then choose Add a Note or Highlight from the menu.
If you select Add a Note, a Notes box will display in the right margin next to the text you selected. Just type your notes in the box and click Save. Notes added in this way will display in the right margin of the document.
If you select Highlight the text is highlighted in yellow.
Adding a Document Note
If you would like to add a note to the top of the document, you can do so without selecting text first. Simply click the Annotations button ( ) on the document toolbar, then choose Add Note. The Notes box will display at the top of the document.
Next, type your notes in the box and click Save.
To add another document note, either repeat these steps or click the Add Note
icon ( ) at the top of the Notes box.
Notes and Highlighting stay on your documents until you delete them or for as long as you have a WestlawNext subscription. Along with the text of your note, WestlawNext will display the date and time the note was created and the Client ID you used when creating the note.
It is easy to recognize a document you have added notes or highlighting to because a Note Added icon ( ) will appear on the document and result lists.
- If you want to hide your notes while reading a document, click the Annotations button ( ) on the document toolbar and de-select Show Annotations.
- Documents can be delivered (e.g., emailed or downloaded) with or without your notes.
- You can save documents with your notes to folders.
- You can view documents with your notes on your WestlawNext iPad® app or other mobile device.
- To expand or collapse the document Notes box, click the Maximize ( ) or
Minimize ( ) icons that appear inside the box.
To edit a note, locate the note within the document and click on it.
Type your changes in the text box, then click Save.
To delete a note, locate the note in the document and click on it.
Then click on the Delete icon( ).
An on-screen message will inform you that the note has been deleted. You may reinsert the note by clicking Undo.
Otherwise, if you click elsewhere in the document or click Close, the note will be deleted permanently.
To delete highlighting, click on th highlighted text and then click on Delete Highlight.
Adding Notes to documents makes it easy to pick up where you left off, saving you the time of reviewing your research for a second or third time. Highlighting quickly draws your eye to portions of your research you have already decided are important.