November 21, 2011
- Inline notes are associated with selected text in the document and can be found directly next to the selected text.
- Document notes are general notes related to the entire document and can be found near the title of the document.
Adding an Inline Note
If you would like to add a note to a particular location in the document, select the text where you want to insert the note, then choose Add a Note from the menu.
A Notes box will display in the right margin next to the text you selected. Just type your notes in the box and click Save. Notes added in this way will display in the right margin of the document.
Adding a Document Note
If you would like to add a note to the top of the document, you can do so without selecting text first. Simply click the Annotations button ( ) on the document toolbar, then choose Add Note. The Notes box will display at the top of the document.
Next, type your notes in the box and click Save.
To add another document note, either repeat these steps or click the Add Note icon ( ) at the top of the Notes box.
More Helpful Hints
Here are a few additional tips about this time-saving workflow tool:
- Notes stay on your documents until you delete them or for as long as you have a WestlawNext subscription.
- Along with the text of your note, WestlawNext will display the date and time the note was created and the Client ID you used when creating the note.
- You can recognize when you’ve added notes to a document because a Note Added icon ( ) will appear on the document and result lists.
- If you want to hide your notes while reading a document, click the Annotations button ( ) on the document toolbar and de-select Show Annotations.
- Documents can be delivered (e.g., emailed or downloaded) with or without your notes.
- You can save documents with your notes to folders.
- You can view documents with your notes on your WestlawNext iPad® app or other mobile device.
- To expand or collapse the document Notes box, click the Maximize ( ) or Minimize ( ) icons that appear inside the box.