July 5, 2013
- 217 Insurance
- 217XIII Contracts and Policies
- 217XIII(G) Rules of Construction
- 217k1830 Favoring Insureds or Beneficiaries; Disfavoring Insurers
- 217k1832 Ambiguity, Uncertainty or Conflict
- 217k1832(2) k. Necessity of Ambiguity.
Where an ambiguity in an insurance policy is found, courts will construe it in favor of the insured, but will not torture ordinary words until they confess to ambiguity.
Hobbs v. Hartford Ins. Co. of the Midwest, 823 N.E.2d 561 (Ill. 2005)
Suggested by Alex Zagor, Staff Attorney; 19th Judicial Circuit Court of Lake County, Illinois; Waukegan, IL